Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Week 4 - Projections

What you see are three projected layers used to compare area for a couple counties in Florida. By far, this assignment took me the longest. I got stuck on page 3, when asked to create a county boundary layer in the Florida State Plane North (HARN Feet), but once I got past the confusion (on my part), I was able to get through the rest of the assignment.

Coming up with how to display the square miles to show the comparison was a challenge. I decided to use a legend for each projection but could not figure out how to display both the county names and square miles. In each layer, I selected the counties needed for comparison and exported them into a separate layer. (I did this for all three projections). Since I could not figure out how to show the county names and square miles I figured out a work around.

Now, I don't know if I did this the correct way, but it was the only way I knew how. I wrote down the area for each county in each projection. When I was working on the symbology for the counties, I typed in the name and area for each value. It displayed the way I wanted it but again, I'm not sure if I did it the right way.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Yasmanda, Good job! Your way is just fine, as you know in GIS there always seems to be a couple of ways to get the right answer.

    Leah

    ReplyDelete