Friday, February 19, 2010

Module 5 - GIS Data Search

The purpose of this assignment was to collect the required data for my assigned county in Florida (Leon), and display them on one or more maps. I had to organize the layers to have the information show clearly. Between finding and downloading the proper data and creating the maps, this was the most challenging exercise yet but I did learn A LOT.

My first map has majority of the required data. I found the layers at Florida Geographic Data Library. I didn't have to change the projection on any of them as they all had the projection of Albers. It was fun using the clip tool. It came in very handy. If I had to give a tip on this assignment, I would say to be very organized when saving files.

This map is of the strategic habitat conservation areas. The map looked kind of bare, so I added the pictures.

I became very frustrated when looking for samples of the raster datasets but finally found my way through LABINS. Searching, downloading and clipping the required data took me the longest.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the color composition of you first map. Everything is very easy to read. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Mandy! These are really nice!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete